Museum Grant Program
The Museum Grant Program provides three streams of operational support to qualifying museums throughout the province.The three funding streams are representative of the varying levels of development found in Saskatchewan Museums. First-time applicants are eligible for Stream One funding. Museums are encouraged to apply for annual funding through the Museum Grant Program (MGP). Previously, the Museums Association of Saskatchewan (MAS) promoted, adjudicated and evaluated the program through a contractual arrangement with SaskCulture.
In 2008, SaskCulture completed a comprehensive funding review which recommended SaskCulture take back the administration of all third party funding, such as the MGP. As a result, the Museum Grant Program is now administered directly through SaskCulture.
This program is designed to:
- Help ensure museums achieve operational excellence based upon the Museums Association of Saskatchewan’s Standards for Saskatchewan Museums- 2002;
- Help ensure there is a stable funding environment for museums from year to year;
- Help ensure planning and evaluation are appreciated as an integral part of program development and sound museum operations;
- Help ensure there is appropriate accountability to Saskatchewan Lotteries Trust Fund for Sport, Culture and Recreation;
- Provide a lever for additional funding assistance from other funding agencies (e.g.) matching funds;
- Assist museums in raising their profiles within their local communities and broader;
- Provide a validation process for museums within the museum community;
- Provide an effective system of evaluation for the distribution of funds; AND
- Provide funds based on the merit and quality of museum operations.
Applications will be assessed by a volunteer adjudication committee according to the following criteria:
- The merit of a museum’s operations, as adjudicated by the peer Jury, utilizing the Museums Association of Saskatchewan’s Standards for Saskatchewan Museums – 2010;
- The number of museums applying for funds; AND
- The total funds available in the program (as these are lottery proceeds, the total funds available may vary from year to year).
An institution must:
- Meet the following definition of museum “… a non-profit making institution in the service of society and its development, and open to the public, which acquires, conserves, researches, communicates, and exhibits, for the purposes of study, education, and enjoyment, material evidence of people and their environment”;
- Be incorporated as a non-profit organization or be a public institution;
- Have been open to the public and fully operational for at least one year;
- Have a permanent facility with public access and space designated for museum use only;
- Hold clear ownership of a majority of items in its collection; AND
- Maintain separate financial records.
In addition, a museum must not:
- Be part of a federal or provincial operation and/or Crown Corporation;
- Receive more than 50 per cent of its total revenues from the Saskatchewan Lotteries Trust Fund (SLTF). (Exception: Stream I funding applicants may receive up to 75% of their funding from the SLTF.);
- Receive funding directly from the Culture Section of Saskatchewan Lotteries Fund; AND
- Receive funding directed by the Government of Saskatchewan.
Contact SaskCulture for application assistance if your museum has not previously applied to the Museums Grant Program.
Museum Grant Program Stream I Recipients, Fall 2011
Museum Grant Program Stream II Recipients, Fall 2011
Museum Grant Program Stream III Recipients, Fall 2011